Thursday, April 29, 2010

To Thank or Not to Thank

Did your mother teach you to send out thank you cards? I find it not only appropriate to send them for wedding gifts, shower gifts, but sometimes for Christmas and Birthday gifts. It seems like this practice is lessening. I was always taught to send a card for every significant gift given and to do it as soon as I could. I think it's a nice gesture of appreciation, and though I'm not giving a gift to receive a thank you, I still think you should. Don't we all like receiving a nice card in the mail to know that the recipiant appreciated it? A 25cent card that takes about 1 minute to write out and mail is the least one could do to say thank you to someone else's thought and time. After all, I'm sure their generosity took more than 1 minute towards you.

I once met a lady in our Stake in Las Vegas that, while laughing, told me and a group of ladies that she's never sent out one thank you card her entire life, including her wedding and both wedding and baby showers and gifts. Her "hilarious" excuse was that she directly told some of the givers thank you for the gift(s) in person or texted them, and that the people shouldn't be giving to receive a thank you card. Can you believe that? The other ladies I was standing with all glared at her- one even spoke up and said, "That's very rude."

Obviously not every gift is in need of a hand written thank you card. I'm not suggesting you buy a costco-sized box of stationary and write out thank you's to people who hold open doors at the mall or let you borrow a movie, I know I don't. But I'm sure we can all agree that sending a thank you card is never a bad idea, and that when in doubt, send one.

I know writing out and sending thank you cards is tedious and tiring, but it's just what you do. You don't text, facebook, call, or worse off, assume that by saying thank you at the time you've done enough- you send a thank you card. We're all busy, but atleast someone wasn't too busy to go out, spend their hard-earned money, and buy you a gift!

Want to learn more about Thank You Note Etiquette? Check out the link.
http://www.thank-you-note-samples.com/sample-thank-you-notes.html

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I promise you'll be getting one from us! I've been working on them since before Brycen was born and I still haven't got them finished. I should probably be taking more time to get them finished. It's a work in progress. But I promise you're on that list! I agree, thank you cards are important. Especially after weddings and babies!

The Sheppards said...

Thank you for dying my hair yesterday! (consider this the card:)

Amber said...

I agree and disagree. I do think you should send out thank you cards for weddings and showers etc. But if I got someone a present and they called me up later to thank me, I think that's just as good as writing a card if not better. Not only do I get to talk with them more but they took the time to call-just like taking time out to write me a card.

sydni yoshioka said...

i totally agree with you! i'm a little guilty of not always sending thank you notes, but lately i've been trying to do better! it is sooo nice to get a note in the mail!

The Barnum Family said...

I totally agree! I was sure to do cards for our wedding and baby showers. I'll admit I'm not too good with the birthday ones. But I also think it's great to send out Thank You cards for things like when someone brings you dinner or watches your kids when you're in a pinch. I don't know. I guess I was taught the same way as you!