Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Blessed Miracle!!!

This past Saturday I had a vocal audition to get into Music 155- private voice lessons. After talking to my incredible friend, Kaitlin (who majored in Vocal Performance from UW) she gave me a list of about 10 classical songs. I went to Chesbro for a while, and decided on 1 song, Caro Mio Ben... mainly because it was the easiest to learn, Italian-wise.

I practiced almost every day for about a month. I knew my Italian wasn't perfect, but I sang Italian songs when I was in voice in High School, so... does 6 years really make a difference???
YES.

My Audition was with the head of the music department. While waiting in the hall to go in, I couldn't help but observe that every girl singing in his office sounded like a professional Oprah singer. Crap.

My confidence plummeted, but I went in anyway with a smile. This is where it goes terribly bad.

The on-site accompianist (bless his heart) wasn't so great. I sang the first line for him while snapping the tempo, but of course, he played it rediculously fast. Now, what i SHOULD have done, was stop him and correct the tempo. Oh, but what did I do?? I went along with it. So, after feeling disconnected from the mood and feel of the song, I forgot my words 2 times, almost ran out of breath on a line, and just plainly- I sounded bad. No, not bad, really bad. It didn't help watching this guy frantically type who-knows-what on his laptop the entire time I was singing.

After the vocal part of the audition, there was a sight-reading exercise. We had to sight-read a Methodist Hymn. It was tricky. I think I did okay on it, though. We ended the audition by him telling me that I messed up the rhythem in 1 measure, and that my Italian sounded like Spanish.

Right after I left his office, I walked out the doors of the Snow Building and instantly started crying. And... pretty much kept crying for the rest of that day, Sunday, and Monday.

On Monday, I found out that out of the 60 kids that auditioned for this Major-Voice Lessons class, only 25 would make it. I "let myself down" and went home trying to think of ways that maybe I could retake it next semester, etc.. If I didn't get in, I would have to graduate a semester later.

To make an already unnessisarly long story shorter...
I checked the list today and I made it. It is seriously a miracle. I'm not even trying to sound modest- that audition sounded really bad.
I'm so grateful I got in! At the list posted on a bulletin board, there were girls left and right bawling and walking away. I feel very blessed to have somehow gotten into this class.

Oh, and BTW- this 2 credit class will not be as easy as I imagined. Not only do I have a private 1 hour lesson a week, but I also have 2 hour-long master classes, have to sing in some STAR recitals, and have to attend 8 choral events this semester. Gah!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Gah this is fabulous!! Congratulations!! Is that why you were sick on Sunday and didn't come to dinner? I honestly would have done the same thing and stayed home if I was in the same boat ha ha. I am so excited for you! And I'm pretty sure I've heard that song before that you sang for your audish (I'm trying to sound rocker there). Or Amber sang it or something. Anyway, I'm very excited for you and I hope you're enjoying school!

Unknown said...

Just to clarify, I would have stayed home from dinner because I would be on the verge of tears the whole time, assuming you were feeling that way all day. Anyway, just wanted to make sure that made sense and I'm not just sounding like a yotch ha ha!

Eric Harker said...

Congratulations Erika! You deserve it!

The Barnum Family said...

Way to go! I know "Caro Mio Ben" all too well from my vocal major days. =) It sounds like this class will definitely keep you busy. They never give music classes enough credit hours for all the time you have to put in.
Enjoy it! I'm sure you'll be fabulous!

Lena said...

Congratulations!

Kristi said...

Congrats! What a relief!

Ben and Becky said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you were able to get in. that's sad about all the girls crying.

VicandNanc said...

YAY! I know the feeling of feeling like you blew it & then just how SUPER exciting it is when you somehow miraculously make it! :) Good job!

Amber said...

I'm so jealous! Audtions can be so stressful! Especially if they play your accomp too fast. I would have totally bombed the sight reading. I do ok but being on the spot like that, I freeze. Singing on the spot I can do but man that sight reading kills me! I'm so jealous of everything you're doing! I wanted to go into music but i didn't like the program. But I heard after a few fixes they FINALLY have it all together so that makes me sad. Part of me still wants to though. I love singing Italian, and I'm sure you did sooo great! Your song sounds so familiar to me. Well cOngrats Erika! I could talk about music for days ha ha. I'm so happy you made it! You deserve it! I would love to sing with you sometime. I can never do it enough! Choir rehearsal twice a week still doesn't cut it for me. Hope you enjoy every second of it! Love ya!

TacieB said...

Erika - I hadn't checked out your blog in a long time and saw this post! That is amazing! You are such a talented and incredible musician. You will do great!