Friday, January 14, 2011

Lovingkindness- yes, it's one word.

"Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." When I first heard this profound statement by Marjorie Pay Hinckley, it resonated within me. I hurried and scribbled it down on some scrap paper with a broken crayon I managed to find down in the depths of my purse/diaper bag- whatever you want to call it. The statement was too significant not to remember, and since that moment, it has become a motto for my life.

Being born and raised in a middle-class suburb of Vancouver, Washington was exceptionally ordinary. I attended public school, made good friends, was obedient, and then began the first leg of my college journey at BYU-Idaho.

My average life quickly changed in June of 2006. I got married. I began my first "hard battle" of halting my education, running off with my "newly degreed" husband, and starting our idealistic newlywed life in Las Vegas. But after our first lay-off, first baby, and a never-ending pile of bills, I realized we were headed for a war.

My dear husband has been laid off seven times. Right when life started going great, we got "let go," a child got sick, our insurance company denied another claim, or we needed to replace our timing belt. I've cried a lot. I pitifully wondered what I was doing wrong. Then, one day, as I was contemplating our lack of income, I realized that everyone around me was going through something even harder. I have friends who are dealing with foreclosure, cancer, death, depression, an inability to get pregnant, or divorce. I then taped my scrap paper quote to my bathroom mirror and sincerely began serving others who were facing tremendous challenges of their own. The battles I fight are unrelenting, but my perspective has changed. We are all in this together, and I've found lovingkindess to be essential for survival.

6 comments:

The Barnum Family said...

Thanks for the reminder. I was having one of those days today where I felt sorry for myself because my life is not at all what I imagined it would be.
We all have different trials. I'll have to remember that others are going through their own battles before I start feeling bad about mine.

Lena said...

Well said, Erika! Thank you for this post!

Ben and Becky said...

thankyou for posting this, I needed to read this today. :)

TacieB said...

Thank you Erika! I also needed this reminder. I need to stop feeling sorry for myself!

Unknown said...

Well said! I appreciate the reminder. You and Amber have both reminded me to think of others and serve in the last two days. That means that I need to get it together. You and Dustin are great examples to all of us and we appreciate your faith in all that has happened. I appreciate that even though you guys have had all this crap happen and all these lay-offs that you stay positive, happy, and fun to be around. And other things that you know what I'm thinking but I can't say right here! Anyway, thanks for being so wonderful. :)

VicandNanc said...

You nailed it! I have been so down on myself lately & really I lead a very good life. I hate that it just seems natural for us women to fret over something no matter where we are in life!