Thursday, June 18, 2009

Laundry Soap

A lady I know from my online MI Forum told us all how to make your own laundry detergent. She's been making her own for 3 or 4 years because one of her kids gets really bad rashes from detergents that aren't hypoallergenic. Because hypoallergenic laundry detergents are so expensive... she makes her own!
Anyway, I've been making ours from her recipe. I don't really care that if it's hypoallergenic or not, I just love making it and it's way cheaper than even the Kirkland brand!

If you're interested, here's the recipe:
1 bar of soap (hypoallergenic Dove, Dial, Melaleuca platium bar, etc.)
1/2 Cup of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (found by the fabric softener, about 2-3 dollars for a 3.5 lb box)
1/2 Cup of Oxy Clean (generic works great)
5 gallon bucket
water


Just grate the bar of soap with a cheese grater.
Bring 2-3 cups of water almost to a boil then add the grated soap and stir until it's completely dissolved.
Fill your 5 gallon bucket half way with hot water.
Add hot soap water, 1/2 C washing soda, and 1/2 C of oxy clean and stir for 3 or 4 minutes.
Add more hot water until it reaches near the top.
Stir every 15 minutes for 2 hours.
Voila!


*The soap will thicken as it cools down. I usually make mine at night time, and by the time I wake up it's the perfect, gooey consitancy.

I use about 1 cup of the detergent for a large load of laundry. The soap gets a little goopy, but I read that it gets like that because it has more cleaning agents in it than store-bought soap. It's really cheap to make and cleans your clothes really well... plus it's hypoallergenic!

Break down of costs:
bar of soap 1$
Washing Soda .75
Oxy Clean .25
Total: $1.90 for a 5 gallon bucket (not including the water and time)

1 comment:

Ishihara Family said...

How cool....maybe when I'm not soooo pregnant I will try it!