Thursday, June 11, 2009

Irritated.

So... we got our 'final bill' from Elk Run Apartments. We moved out on April 8th and paid our full months rent for the month of April on April 1st. We were told that we would continue paying the full rent until the apartment was filled, and because we ended our 12 month lease 6 months early, we would not be getting our 300$ deposit back.
WELL.
(breath)
The apartment was filled June 3rd. Instead of paying All of May's rent, and 2 days of June's pro-rated rent ($856.00), we are being charged for the following:
May rent: 799.00
2 days in June: 57.00
Water for May: 36.00
Move-in Discount deductable: 150.00
Early Termination Fee: 499.00
Cleaning Fee: 40.00

For a GRAND TOTAL of: $1581.00
(not to mention the fact that we're already losing our 300$ deductable)

YEAH RIGHT!
First of all, we never had any sort of 'move-in special' when we moved in. Second of all, I'm not paying 36.00 for water from a vacant apartment, especially when all of our utilites combined were only 18 dollars a month.
THIRD: Nowhere in our contract does it ever state ANYTHING about an early termination fee. Even when we've called and asked nobody has ever said anything about it. If it's not in the contract, I'm not paying.
And don't even get me started on the cleaning fee.

Anyway, I wrote a very stern letter stating that I would only pay for the rent, and that they could happily keep our 300$ deductable. So um.. pray we only have to pay $856.00 instead of $1581.00!!

3 comments:

Kandis said...

oh girl...I would be livid! Don't pay it! If it's not in writting that you signed I wouldn't pay anymore then you have to!
Good Luck!

Amber said...

Hey Erika! Yes we need to hang out soon seriously. If you guys want to see that movie I will totally go again. I know Alli and Tyson want to see it and Che hasn't seen it yet. We should all go! Or atleast do something fun you know! Apart from hanging out, I can't believe that about your apt. I would be so mad! I wouldn't give them a dime! THat totally sucks. Well good luck! And give us a call I want to hang out! What's your phone number? Mine is 757-9833

Unknown said...

What the crap! Lame! I would have done the same thing and absolutely refused to pay for all that stuff. I don't know why apartment managers think they can get away with all that nonsense. Let us know how that turns out!