Friday, December 6, 2013

Curse this Blessed Dress



First of all, this "Simplicity" brand of clothing patterns has a marketing strategy of pure deception. This project was nothing even close to anything deserving such a brand name. You bunch of liars. And I guess that in all fairness, I technically have never sewn anything real. But still. The stress of understanding that pattern jargon and sewing itty-bitty-tiny arm holes and hearing my mediocre sewing machine make scary loud dissonant sounds while it jammed up a bazillion times when I was attaching the gathered skirt to the bodice had to have taken years off of my life. At least months! I never knew I could feel such strong negative emotions towards a sewing machine. Or a dress. Or a company named "Simplicity."

But alas, thanks to the last minute rescuing help of my sister and mother, around midnight on Saturday night before the baby blessing, it was complete. And it even turned out beautiful, beautiful enough for Chloe's 8-pound beautiful self to wear.


So I changed a few things from the pattern--namely, the neck hole, the sleeves, the ruffled skirt, and the way it closes in the back. I also added a ribbon and coordinating broach to the front. I loved the way the tied up, almost corset-inspired bodice back turned out. I also learned that my machine can make button holes. I just love technology.
We polished off her look with a beautiful tiny baby bracelet made by her Aunt Dana and a headband that was similar to the applique on the front of the dress.
So as you can imagine, she looked dainty and perfect for her special day. 
Was it worth making the dress? I guess.
I'll post pics of her in it sometime when I have a chance!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

That is gorgeous! We felt bad to miss it but didn't want to infect anyone else with the tummy bug. Good job on the dress! It turned out absolutely beautiful. And I think this counts as actually making something!