Monday, July 30, 2012

Inside Summertime

It has been a hot summer. We got a Zoo pass in the early Spring, and have been going to the zoo about once a week. Both kids love it, and both are old enough that I don't even bring the stroller anymore. We also go swimming and play in the sprinklers frequently. The kids ride their bikes, tote around their dolls, and color with chalk. They essentially only come inside to eat.

Here are our indoor pictures of the Summer. I rarely have our camera with me, so the majority of our pictures are taken with my sub-par camera feature on my used smart phone. Oh well! These kids will still have 1,000 times more pictures of their childhood than I did!

Lillie's preschool. I took this from the observation booth, where I spent a good 25 minutes MWF. Lillie had an exceptional experience.

We found out that Jack wasn't born with enamel on one of his back molars. When we went in for his routine 6 month check-up, they found that about 1/2 of his tooth was a cavity. Because Jack for some reason is slightly freaked out by his awesome pediatric dentist (who Lillie loves), he had to be sedated to do the filling. Turns out the cavity was so large, that when cleaning it out, one of the walls of his tooth broke. Now Jack is sporting an awesome crown! (cha-ching.) I'm thankful for our Pediatrician who told me to take him to the Dentist so young. I had always heard to not take them until they were 3, but apparently now they recommend you taking your kids in when they're 12 months old, or 6 months after they get their first tooth. If I had waited until Jack was three, he would have needed a full-out root canal. Thankfully the rest of his teeth look perfect with no signs of decay. And Lillie is still in the "No Cavity Club!" I sure love that JustForKiDDS place.

I suppose Jack is still 2. He's bound to do naughty things. Like this "mess" he made when eating his grilled cheese and tomato soup. Gee, thanks child.

 Jack is potty-trained all the way! If he stays dry for 6 more hours, he will have gone a full week with no accidents. We did a sticker reward chart this time around. I am still baffled that young children think a tiny smiley-face sticker is worth anything of value. After getting 7 stickers, he will get his "big boy bike." He is quickly outgrowing his red trike, and is pretty darned excited to get his 12" no-name-brand two wheeler with training wheels.
I had to post this picture because I never want to forget how a 4-year-old makes their bed. It absolutely DRIVES ME CRAZY to not fix it. I'm desperately trying to practice all my will-power by establishing some responsibility in her. She's always so proud of herself! I just have to shut the door very fast after I say, "Thank you, Lillie--Looks great!"
Did your heart rate increase after seeing this picture? Kids these days.
Lillie got her "Maggie Doll" from Grandma Diane for Christmas. Lillie and Maggie go everywhere, even on a train to the North Pole to update Santa on her new Christmas list. Lately, Lillie wants a pink power-wheels car. I keep telling her that Santa can't possibly fit that through a chimney.

I can't believe my children are growing up so fast! It's weird to not have any more diapers to change, high chairs to take up space, or strollers to push around. Lillie will be 5 in about 2 weeks, Jack will be 3 in 2 months. When did this happen? We're planning on moving in about 2-4 weeks (depending on when we close) and are putting Jack in a twin-sized bed. He doesn't sleep well on his little toddler bed, and I suppose it's time I realize that he's too big for a crib-sized mattress. I just want him to stay little forever!
Jack weighs 31 pounds now, and is pretty much 50-60% for everything. Lillie is still 95% head, 90% height, and 50% weight (41 pounds). Even at birth those have been her percentages. It sure is fun to have intelligent conversations with my children, teach them about common things, and see them grow up.

One recent conversation:

Lillie let go of a balloon in the sky and watched it float higher and higher.
Lillie: Where is my balloon going to go?
Me: Way up in the sky, maybe even to the moon!
Lillie: No, it's going to heaven.
(pause)
Lillie: Maybe when I get to heaven, Jesus will give me all of my balloons back.

Alright, maybe this doesn't constitute an intelligent conversation, but a conversation none the less.

I'll leave you with a conversation I overheard last Thursday between Lillie and her cousin Alyse:

Lillie: Alyse, do you see those mountains over there?
Alyse: Yes, Lillie. I can see them. I know.
Lillie: Well do you know what? I forgot to tell you something.
Alyse: No?
Lillie: My Daddy rode his bike all the way up that big, big, big mountain!
Alyse: Lillie, my Mommy went up there and put all those windmills on it.
Lillie: Oh. I never knowed that.
Alyse: Oh.
Lillie: And Alli and Tyson and Brycen and baby... Conner, no baby CARTER live over there too.
Alyse: Who are those people, Lillie?
Lillie: Oh my gosh, Alyse! Just... never mind.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

First I cried, then I laughed right out loud with those little Lillie convos! She is too cute and funny. Jack's tooth story makes me want to get Brycen right into the dentist!! Poor Jack!

Ben and Becky said...

kids are so fun! I love reading or hearing little conversations they have!

Kristi said...

Lil is too funny! That is too bad about Jacks tooth. Ouch! Thank heavens for sedation. Let us know if you need help with anything as you get ready for the big move!