Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Oh... so that's why.

Elder Orson F. Whitney wrote: “No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude, and humility. … It is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire.”

This quote makes everything sound so easy! It was somewhat of a revelation to me when I first read it the other night. We all go through pretty crummy things now and again, and I feel like I've had my fair-share of heartbreak and sorrow. However, looking back before the whirlwind of trials came through, I was immature, selfish, and impatient... and probably a bit naive. It wasn't until reading through Kent F. Richard's entire "The Atonement Covers All Pain" talk that I realized I have been schooled through my own difficulties that I've (basically) been forced to overcome.

So, in a way, I'm grateful. If I could go back and change some circumstances would I? Honestly? Probably. But, I would still be very selfish and prideful right now. I would also be very ungrateful.

Here's another paragraph from Elder Richards I especially liked:

Much of our suffering is not necessarily our fault. Unexpected events, contradicting or disappointing circumstances, interrupting illness, and even death surround us and penetrate our mortal experience. Additionally, we may suffer afflictions because of the actions of others. 3 Lehi noted that Jacob had “suffered … much sorrow, because of the rudeness of [his] brethren.” 4 Opposition is part of Heavenly Father’s plan of happiness. We all encounter enough to bring us to an awareness of our Father’s love and of our need for the Savior’s help.

No comments: