Monday, May 23, 2011

Birthday Budget

My family includes:
Dustin and I
Our 2 children
7 nieces
6 nephews
5 Grandma's
3 Grandpa's
9 siblings
8 in-law siblings

Total: 42
times that by $20.00 for each Birthday present per year...

$840.00
(and that doesn't even include baby showers, Mother's Day, Father's Day, or Christmas, or the few friends I still exchange gifts with)

So, I've decided to tone things down a bit. Back in 2006, when Dustin and I had no children, and only 5 nieces and nephews combined, $20 wasn't a big deal. But let's be honest- now it kind of is.

Don't get me wrong, I really do love giving gifts. Do I expect to receive them myself? Not really. But it's a pretty universal tradition (especially in both of our families) to wish other's a Happy Birthday, and if you're close (or related, for that matter) to give a gift to brighten their day and let them know you love them and care about them. I love thinking about each person and figuring out what they really would like. It's a game for me that lets them know that I really care about them and that their Birthday wasn't an after-thought.
I suppose I just need to be a bit more creative with my gift finding to keep things on budget.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I totally feel your pain on this subject. I tried to get my family to quit doing birthday gifts, and it didn't go over very well. It gets really expensive between Reid's family and my family, although it is very fun and if it weren't for the cost I would be all for it!!

Kristi said...

Please just don't worry about sending us anything. We always worry when anyone sends us anything and feel bad we dont participate. It is SO expensive! We know you would do it in a heartbeat and hope you know we would do the same.