Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Everything's shaping up for 'ol Erika

Last week was bad. Our car almost died! I was driving home on Friday (Oct. 29th) from the party store when I noticed that our oil light was constantly blinking at me. I called Dustin right away and told him what was happening. He asked if the car was smoking, was making funny noises, or even smelled questionable- None of the above. He then inquired where I was and finding out that I was only about 1 1/2 miles away, he told me just to come home. I was watching the dashboard like a hawk making sure the temperature didn't rise. It was an intence and scary drive, especially since I had Lillie in the car with me.
After I pulled up and got out of the car, I noticed there was a trail of oil down the road I just traveled. I went inside and in a panic-stricken voice called out to Dustin. He went outside and popped open the hood only to find that every square inch of the hood and engine was covered in oil. He even took one of our wheels off only to find more and more and more oil. The dipstick was bone dry, and even after adding 2 more quarts of oil, nothing was registering. That night was the Trunk-or-Treat, so we hurried and blew-up 50 water balloons for Lillie's costume (pictures to come in a later post) and all packed in to the 2-seater pickup to drive a little over 1/2 mile to the church parking lot, don't tell.
Luckily, we found a guy in our ward who specializes in Honda/Toyota mechanics (thank goodness!). We towed our beloved car over to his place a couple days later. A butt-load of money later (which would have been at least doubled at a 'real' place) we got our car back ONLY TO FIND that there must be car-angels out there watching over us. Apparently when that oil light flashes, it means there's no oil pressure at all going to the engine.... and usually when that happens, when an important seal has broken and all the oil has been gushing out of your engine, your engine usually explodes in about 15 seconds- rendering your car as a 2,000 pound paper weight.
You see why there must be car angels? Because I drove the car for a good 6 minutes after that happened. I was even driving it on I5 at a high speed for a good mile.

Well, naturally I didn't see it as a blessing at first. I was pretty upset! It's not like we just have that money laying around for this kind of set-back. All the money we had been saving to go to Idaho for Christmas has now gone to repairing our only vehicle. Another blessing, though, is that with just 90 dollars remaining to our name until the next payday (2 weeks later), I was miraculously able to buy groceries for our family of 4 for only 36 dollars. I bought all the usual stuff and have a dinner menu for at least 15 meals. Coincidence?

Things started shaping up in the most inconceivable way. Not only did the previous 2 miracles happen, but I also received a ticket to Time Out for Women! To make a long story short, My bro-in-law's mother wasn't able to go so she gave me her ticket. I spent this past Friday and Saturday at the convention center in Portland with Tacie and Laura. We even stayed in a nice hotel, ate at Red Robin and everything. No kids, no diapers, no bedtime routine, no accidents, no tantrums. I haven't slept that good in years. The speakers were incredible and with the theme of "Hope," I really did come back home with a renewed importance of my role as a mother- something I have been struggling with. It was an experience I had been praying for and that I really needed.

On top of THAT, I just received tickets for the Mo Tab Christmas Concert featuring David Archuleta! Tickets were so difficult to get that they turned the entire thing into a lottery, with just one entry per address. AND I WON! I've been trying to get tickets to this thing for 4 years now. We're not sure if we're going yet, but just receiving the tickets in the mail made my day yesterday.

PLUS, Dustin is on-call for his work this week. That means he's still working 40 hours a week, but after work from 5pm-7am he has an activated cell phone for emergency maintenance matters. It's a blessing (contrary to what your instincts might think) because all it means is more moo-la. So, maybe we can afford gas to Idaho and back plus a moving truck rental/expenses?! We'll see. Hopefully he gets called in a lot... (he want to, too)

So there you have it. It looks like things are finally turning around!

7 comments:

The Barnum Family said...

So glad your car didn't blow up on you! How scary! I'm so glad to hear that some good things are happening for you. I'm jealous of the Motab tickets. I've been trying to get them for a few years now too with no luck.
Your time out for women weekend sounds so perfect! That's great you got a break from the daily grind of motherhood. Diapers, feedings, tantrums, and all the other wonders of the mom's day can really wear on you. We all need a break once in a while.
I hope your happy streak continues for a very long time!

VicandNanc said...

You guys definitely deserve a turn around! A lot of my older patients always tell me that the rough times were when they made the best memories so soak in the great blessings in disguise :)

Lena said...

Wow, there must be car angels indeed ;)I am glad everything worked out with the car. Are you using coupons for groceries? Check out
www.hip2save.com
www.hotcouponworld.com
www.afullcup.com
If you have questions just write on facebook and I will be happy to help you out with any questions. I will never forget a day when we had less than 2 bucks in our bank account and it was a day when I needed to buy my daughter shampoo and there was no way we could afford it, that was the 1st day I ever used a coupon and now I am an addict :)
Nice that Justin is working, even if it's at night as long as money are coming in, it's awesome. Adam sometimes has late flights and comes back at 1-2 a.m. It's life, you gotta make sacrifices. But he does get to have 2 weeks leave after he deploys, that type of leave is just like a reward and so worth looking forward to, if you know what I mean.
Glad things are looking up for you guys!
~Lena

Unknown said...

What the craziness...?! I can't believe that car situation! And lots of mixed emotions all rolled into one. Frustration/relief/blessings...What a crazy time for you guys! I'm glad you enjoyed Time Out for Women. I've always wanted to go to something like that. I'm also excited for you about those tickets to the concert! Tyson and I tried to get them again this year and didn't get them. We've never been either. We got some last year but gave them to his parents because they didn't get any. This conert will be really good. I'm sorry about all the frustration with the car! But also happy for all the other good things going on. I hope all these good things continue to happen!

Lyd said...

Rika!! That is amazing! You are truly being looked after, no doubt about it! I sure do love when that happens. Although things may not be at their best, I'm sure glad that everything worked out for you! :D

P.S. My mom would be jealous of your Mo Tab tickets! Every member of my family as well as a good number of my extended family put their names in for her to get tickets and no one got them!! haha Whatever, she got to go last year. If you go, have fun! It's going to be amazing!

Love ya Rika! You guys will be in my prayers! :)

Ben and Becky said...

I'm glad you made it home safely! that would be so scary to find that out after you had to drive home with Lillie!

The Pattersons said...

what blessing. congrats friend! I'm glad you guys are doing well. Hopefully we will see you when you get here or we get there!