Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Toothless and Six

See? There's proof. Once upon a time about 5 1/2 years ago I had a chubby daughter. And she was the sweetest. And you would never recognize her now because she is basically only 1 foot shorter than me and weighs a whopping 42 pounds. But she still has that beautiful dirty blonde hair and those striking blue eyes, and she is still the sweetest.
 
So now I need to get over that she's not that perfect baby anymore who never cries or has a messy face and who is always content with whatever the situation brought upon. Now she is 6. She is going into AM Kindergarten in exactly one week from today and will be the tallest, most confident, and smartest kid in class. I just know it. I mean, forget learning letters and sounds--she can read. And she can do real addition and subtraction problems. In her head.
And she's friendly and compassionate and will be nice to everyone. So naturally I'm proud- but also sad at the same time. That sweet baby girl of mine will be riding that huge bus without seat belts without me. I mean, really. What if someone tells her that those dust particles you see in the window when the sun is shining is not real fairy pixie dust and that a tiny fairy did not just flutter by without anyone noticing?
I will find that kid and punch him. (just kidding. And sorry for assuming it will be a boy. A dumb boy.)



 




I've let her live in this magical fairytale full of music and dancing and rainbows and toys that come to life when you're not looking for six years. I mean, just yesterday she colored a picture with her markers of a "rainbow fairy store that sells Birthday supplies."

Happy 6th Birthday, sweet Lillie Josephine. Our family loves and needs you.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I cant believe shes really old enough to do all this! Im sure she will love it and do great. Cant wait to hear all about it!

Unknown said...

I speak for the extended family when I say we really do love and need that sweet Lillie Jo! Can't believe she's starting kindergarten!!