Sunday, June 13, 2010

33rd Place!

Yes friends, I finished. After a couple of months of training, I ran the Teton Dam Half Marathon on Saturday, June 12th at 7:30AM. It was about 5o degrees, 9 mph winds, and a lot of hills. I ran the 13.1 miles in 2 hours and 9 minutes- averaging 9 minute and 51 second minute miles. My goal was to finish between 2:15 and 2:17, so I was pretty shocked to find that I finished in only 2:09. My placeing was 33rd out of 77 for my age division (20-24 female).

I have the best husband. He woke up at 6:30, got himself and the kids ready (and fed), then drove up to Rexburg to cheer me on all morning. I saw him at mile marker 5, 7, 10, and of course the finish line. Lillie cheered really loud for me, too. I loved it. Unfortunately, I forgot to charge the battery in our camera, so I have no real pictures of me actually running. This could possibly be a good thing, because I'm not sure I look so great in my running action shots! The following pictures were taken about 3 minutes after I finished. Thanks Dana for bringing a working camera.
As you can see, my sister Dana ran it with me (or I ran it with her). She's so fast, even after having 5 kids she still pulled in a time of 1 hour and 51 minutes! She placed 3rd in her division. I'm so proud of her! We didn't really train together (obviously) due to the fact that she runs a lot faster than I can, but she still motivated me to even attempt this feat.
In the end:
I'm proud of myself. My left knee hurts. But, I accomplished something that I didn't realistically see myself ever doing. The last time I've ever ran 13 miles was with my good friend Michael Holt... and that was almost exactly 5 years ago. The training was hard (not gonna lie), but not impossible- just hard to get used to at first. I worked hard, woke up early, and pushed through it. It's hard to find time to run with 2 kids around!
I also have some people to thank: First of all, My Husband for his unconditional support. At times I was slightly offended when he almost forced me do my runs during the week, but he knows I'm a natural quitter. Couldn't have stayed motivated without him! Plus, he so willingly watched the kids for me, and even has driven out to find me about 1/2 hour into my long weekly runs just to bring me water.
Second, my sister. If she can find time to run with 5 kids, then I can.
And third, the cast of Glee. Couldn't have done it without you, all!
So.... I challenge all of YOU to make a goal and work hard to accomplish it. YOU can do it. While I was running around mile 11 or so on Saturday, I started thinking about what I was doing 6 months ago. Nothing. Jack was 2 months old and I specifically remember not working out and not even being able to run one mile. I mostly just sat around all day and considered my exercise walking around at Winco once a week, or nursing.
Moral of the Story:
Do it.

4 comments:

Eric Harker said...

Congratulations! Maybe I'll make my own Glee running mix...

Unknown said...

In the end: Dana got some rockin' book ends that she displays oh so proudly to one and all. Ha ha wow. Great job!! You're motivating. Even at my fittest I could never imagine doing a half marathon. So major props to you! I need to get it together and get going with running again. Or at least walking!

The Barnum Family said...

Way to go! I am so inspired. I've always wanted to try running, but I'm really good at excuses. Maybe now I'll just get my butt out of bed and do it.
congratulations!

sydni yoshioka said...

wow. you've inspired me. seriously. i make so many excuses why i can't go exercise, but i'm gonna start doing it. thanks for sharing your story :)