Sunday, October 18, 2009

Back to the hospital


Don't you love his first pair of sunglasses??

On Friday we went to Idaho Falls for a well baby check up. I told the Doctor that I was a bit concerned about Jack looking a little yellow the past 2 days. He said that he did look yellow, but he's seen lots worse. He sent for a lab test just to be sure, though.
Well, as we were driving home I got a call from the Pediactric Center. They forwarded me to the nurse, who then said, "I'm going to need you or your husband talk to the Doctor." Doctor Hatch got on the phone and told us that Jacks billiruben levels came out at 21.5. Apparently that's almost toxic. He told us to rush him into the hospital and that they knew we were coming. Needless to say, Dustin and I were both in tears.

Jack was in the hospital for exactly 24 hours. They put him under some high intensity lights and his billiruben level dropped from 21.5 to 14.4 in just one days time. We got to take him home with a 'billi-blanket' (a heating pad type thing that we put under his onesie). He gets checked again tomorrow, and if he's less than 13 then we won't need the blanket anymore!

The good thing is that Jack's been eating great and has stayed well hydrated. He hasn't been acting lethargic, which isn't typical with a jaundice baby. He's doing really well! We're just glad to have him home and to not have to choose between meatloaf or tuna salad sandwiches for our hospital meals anymore.

6 comments:

Jaimie said...

How scary that must have been for you guys! I'm so glad Jack is doing better now. Thank goodness you said something and had a doctor who erred on the side of caution.

The Barnum Family said...

I'm glad that your doctor did the test! Poor little Jack! Glad that he's better and at home and that you and Dustin get to eat some better food.=)

Kristi said...

I'm glad to hear that he is doing better. That first month is just paranoia of all the things that could go wrong. Hopefully this is the last thing for Jack

TacieB said...

I've been thinking about you guys! I'm glad Jack's doing better. I would have been so scared! His pictures are really sweet.

Unknown said...

We're so glad he's feeling better. I loved being able to hold him for so long the other night! He's a perfect little baby!

Adam and Brittany said...

So sad...but he does look so cute in those first sunglasses. I'm glad he's doing well now!