Monday, September 10, 2012

The artistry of canning... and other mediocre news.

Today was my first day of school, again! This is my last year and I'm hoping that it goes rather quickly. I have a hefty credit load this semester and am already feeling overwhelmed. Thankfully I love what I'm studying, but without a doubt, modulating Baroque era songs into natural, harmonic, and melodic minor keys without a key signature is a bit challenging--especially for my first day back "reviewing" past material.

On another note, our entire house is spic and span. Like, all the way. We took a large load of clothes I'll never fit into and crap that nobody ever needs to DI on Saturday (where some large furniture may or may not have fallen out of the truck) and are feeling more peace and tranquillity because so. There are no more mystery drawers.

On Saturday, our 2 bushels of peaches ripened and we had no choice to but can them all that night. We started canning around 9:30PM and finished canning 26 1-liter Mason Jars of peaches around 3AM. We have beautiful jars of peaches taking up all that space we just cleaned! It appears as though the other 2 bushels of pears are now ready, so that's tonight's homework (on top of my 5+ hours of "real" hw). I know, I know. I'm so domestic. I was even barefoot and wore an apron. Regrettably, I could not convince Dustin to do the same. Here's to 50+ jars of canned fruit!

AND, we found out on Wednesday that we didn't get our house. After patiently waiting for 4 1/2 months for lots of really complicated reasons on the sellers end, their bank received a higher offer on Tuesday (its 4th offer) and took it and ran with it. We didn't even have an option of countering. Am I upset? Sure. I spent a good portion of my Wednesday morning sitting on the couch with tears and tissues, but the next day I figured everything would be okay. After 9 months of this real estate roller coaster ride, we've decided to take a little break from house hunting. So no, I don't want to hear about the new house in your neighborhood that just got listed.

And because I should never end a blog post on such a solemn note-
Dustin's dad painted a beautiful picture of Lillie and Jack. It was suppose to be a house warming gift (tear) but he gave it to us anyway. We all love it so much! Isn't it just wonderful?

4 comments:

The Barnum Family said...

Those really technical music classes were always the worst! Congrats on starting your last year though. You're almost there!
I've never attempted canning. I'm not so great at all the domestic stuff, but maybe I'll start working on that more now that I'm done with school.
So sorry about your house falling through. That's just heartbreaking! I think you're right to take a break from it all. In the end, things will work out, right? At least that's what everyone keeps saying. =)

Kristi said...

Very impressive- 50+ jars of fruit? My food storage plan right now is to buy a few extra cans of veggies and such each week. Way to go! Sounds like you are as redy as possible for the new semester. Hopefully it isnt too demanding.
And by the way, the only thing better than that painting from Gramps could be your reaction to it. That was awesome! It will have to be the first thing you hang when you finally find the perfect house

Unknown said...

Canning is easy! It's just expensive the first time because you have to buy all the jars and rings and lids-- and fruit. Dustin helps me every year I do it.
And Kristi, In Las Vegas our Stake Pres. had all of us buy 2 item per grocery store visit (even the small ones) that was on sale and that we regularly eat. After a few years of buying 1 or 2 cans of this and that, we have SO MUCH. Plus, it's stuff we already eat, so it's really easy to rotate through. The only thing we're lacking is potable water...

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear your house news. I like your attitude about it though. Way to go with the canning, too! And I wish we were there to see your reaction to the painting!! I have a feeling if we could have stayed till the evening we would have seen it. But I'm sure I can imagine what it was like!!